Recipe is vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free
Sick of pasta already? Fancy trying something a bit different? Then we have the recipe for you! Tofu scramble is hearty, tasty and nutritious, and super easy to make! You can also replace the tofu with scrambled egg for an equally flavoursome experience.
You will need:
½ block tofu (plain or flavoured – my favourite is smoked!)
3 tbsp oil
½ red onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ red pepper, cut into chunks
¼ pack chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
Big handful of spinach
- Firstly, you’ll need to press your tofu for around 15-30 minutes to drain out some of the excess liquid. The easiest way to do this is to place the block between two plates lined with kitchen roll, then put some heavy books on top!
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan. Lower the heat slightly, then add the onion and garlic. Fry for 2 minutes, then add some of the smoked paprika and cumin. Add the pepper and mushrooms, mix together, then fry for another few minutes, until the veg has softened and browned.
- Push the veg to one side of the pan, then crumble the tofu into the other side, adding the rest of the oil if needed. Sprinkle over some more smoked paprika and cumin, then lower the heat and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Once the tofu has crisped up a little, mix everything together, then add the spinach leaves. Stir until the spinach has wilted!
- Best served on toast with a generous dollop of houmous and some avocado slices.
[Katie Fannin – @katfnan]